Caring for your CPAP equipment
Maintaining and cleaning your therapy equipment is essential so that you can get the most out of your treatment. Here are some simple instructions in order to keep your equipment clean.
- Wash the cushion or seal daily with warm mild soapy water. It is best to use non-antibacterial soap as these can eventually breakdown the seal. Once washed, rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry on a clean cloth or paper towel out of direct sunlight.
- Before using mask at night, wash your face thoroughly and don't use facial moisturizers. Facial oils and moisturizers can break down the silicone faster.
- Headgear and chin straps should be washed at least once a week by hand using warm soapy water, rinsed well, and air dried. Do not place headgear or chin straps in the washing machine or dryer.
- Disinfection of your CPAP equipment can be done with the Lumin Sanitizer or SoClean 2 Sanitizer.
- Your CPAP machine itself does not need to be cleaned but you may want to dust it down with a slightly damp cloth as desired.
- For replacement schedules of CPAP masks, you should check both your manufacturer's recommendations and your insurance allowance. However, for most masks and tubing it is recommended that you replace it every 6-12 months.
CPAP Humidifier and Tubing
Humidification chamber needs to be cleaned out daily to prevent bacteria build-up as well as calcification.
- The humidifier needs to be emptied daily after the night’s use, rinsed and air dried. Fill the chamber with fresh distilled water every night before use.
- Once a week, wash the water tub or humidifier and tubing in warm water using mild detergent.
- Rinse well with water and allow to dry on a clean cloth or paper towel out of direct sunlight. For the tubing, you can hang it to dry.
- Remember to always use distilled water, as tap water may contain minerals that can deposit onto the chamber causing it to be replaced sooner than later.
- Disinfection of the water chamber/tubing can be done with the SoClean 2 or the Lumin unit.
- Humidifier chambers/Tubing should be replaced every 6-12 months or as needed.
With these simple tips on routine cleaning and replacement of your CPAP accessories, you will assuredly have a much better CPAP therapy experience. If in doubt, always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for product cleaning. Remember, if you take care of your equipment, your equipment will take care of you.